Monday, February 18, 2008

President's Day check in




I'd better quick post so I get another Feb post in!!

We had a pretty good Prez weekend. On Saturday we went to Hayward marsh and got to watch a seagull attempt to eat a shark. It was pretty comical. Poor guy just couldn't open the tough carcass and struggled to carry it. Other gulls arrived so he had to start posturing and look big and tough so no one else could take his shark. No swallows at Hayward yet, we'll have to go back in a month or so. The wintering ducks have mostly left for the season so there wasn't too much to see, just a lot of Least Sandpipers, some willets, and a few curlew and herons.

The boys have been holding hands lately when we walk places. It's pretty cute! I will be making a scrapbook page about it, I think.

We ripped out the crappy Aralia trees that were blocking the light to my scraproom. It's a whole new world!! Those trees were really bugging me. First, they blocked my wonderful morning light. Second, they had these hideous black berries that the robins ate and pooped all over our cars and sidewalk. And they are covered with ants. Goodbye and good riddance!! We bought a nice shrubby ceanothus to replace it. I'm liking this idea because it is low growing (under the window) and a native plant so it should thrive. Of course, right now it looks puny, but it should grow pretty quickly.

We also worked on raking and cleaning things up. We did a lot of pruning, adding to our compost bin, and more soil prep for our garden. Mr. Geek painted his chicken coop colonial red. It looks like a little barn. It will be fun to have some chicks next month. I definitely got a good yard work workout this weekend.

I am a little bummed that I didn't get any scrapping done, but the weather was so wonderful and I like working outdoors. Organic gardening is rapidly turning into my next big hobby. There's so much to learn. I wish I still could ask Grandpa questions, he was such an expert on garden matters. I feel closer to him when I work on it. It also makes me miss him more.

Back to school and craziness tomorrow!

No comments: