Monday, September 10, 2007

Ah, high school...

It wasn't a high point in my life. I'm that rare person who PREFERRED middle school. Yes. Betcha don't meet too many of those types. There were things I liked about high school though. I liked German class (most of the time), journalism, drawing and painting, theater production, but most of all, I liked Creative Writing. I had this very inspired new teacher named Mr. Nolet. He found so many ways to draw so many of us into writing, and writing about our experiences. He actually valued our opinions and thought our feelings were real. It was nice to feel truly respected by a teacher. His class was my favorite high school class.

I know you may find this hard to believe, but I wasn't one of the popular kids. Shock! Horror! Alert the presses! I was friends with a few of the popular kids from middle school, who sort of remained aquaintances throughout. I was pretty good at having a lot of aquaintances. My best friend from high school was probably Mikhael. She was her own person and was sooooo cool about it. She had a mohawk and wore black eyeliner, and she was as sweet and smart as could be. She and I went out a number of times, including an overnight or two at her house where we, characteristically, sneaked out. Doesn't every high school kid do this at some point or another?? And yes, we concocted strange fruity alcoholic beverages on the sly once or twice. She had a fake i.d. and got into dance clubs. She is the only person from high school I have met since high school, though not since college ended. We liked listening to Depeche Mode and the Cure and a few other bands I can't really recall right now.

My other high school aquaintances were a mixed bunch...proper Melissa who went to Wellesley and planned out her life meticulously, Michelle who was always there to talk to or go out for a coffee with, Jane who was my walking buddy, and crazy Paisley who was very smart and never really rubbed it in your face. It wouldn't be until college that I would get to be good friends with any guys. In fact, it wouldn't be until I went to Vermont.

High school was a long time ago...18 years ago. It's hard to believe that now none of that crap really matters and I'm a mom of a kid in first grade and another in preschool. I was pretty adamant about never having children when I was in high school because of the pain associated with childbirth. Turns out I was right about the pain, but I was too naive then to know it was all worth it. I'm wanting to start scrapping a bit of my high school days soon, so I'm trying to get into that mindset. I have so many projects going on right now it's hard to keep up or even feel like I can. A scrapbooker is never actually "caught up" though. At least none that I have ever met.

No comments: