Monday, January 28, 2008

Lucky me


I started thinking about things in a positive light today. And this is a bit strange because I am generally not an optimistic glass half full sort of gal AND I am sick, which seems to make me a bit more pessimistic than usual. I received some wonderful feedback on Andy which just makes me so GLAD. Proud. Lucky. He is doing SO WELL in school. We don't have the financial resources to do additional therapies beyond what the school district offers, but thank goodness we don't seem to need them. He is just thriving at school, talking in long sentences, enjoying engaging in cooperative play with others, potty trained now (woo HOO!) and just generally a happy healthy kid with some sensory quirks and some social delays. I think back to when he was 22 mos. old and received his autism diagnosis and it's hard to believe this is the same child. This is the child who never talked, lined up his toys, and spun in slow circles in the living room. This is the child who now will have long conversations with me, can express his needs specifically, has a huge vocabulary and has a genuine love and interest in other people. It's hard to let moments go by without hugging and kissing him...he's just that sweet and wonderful. My heart still aches hearing him call me Mommy, because I just didn't hear it for so much of his life. He played IN THE MUD this weekend, and he didn't cry about it at all, even though it was cold and gloppy and gooey. He let the rain fall down on him without screaming and crying. This wouldn't even have happened 3 months ago.

I am a lucky mom indeed. My boy is going to be just fine. I scrapbooked this pic of Andy today, I just love that picture, even if it is slightly out of focus.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Way to go, Andy! I, too, tend to be cynical most of the time, but when Hutton does something especially NT it always makes me feel so lucky! Very cute picture, too!